Relish the Season of Light
Thursday, December 07, 2017
There’s much turmoil in the world today that can set us on edge and make inner peace seem elusive in the midst of this holiday season. Even in the best of times, it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed by the added pressure of trying to make the season magical. Take steps to stay in the moment and focus on the quiet beauty of the season, and the gift of gratitude.
- Focus your energy on your family, your community and your spirituality.
- Write a holiday to-do list and then pare it as much as possible.
- Give meaningful but modest gifts. Don’t be lured by ‘deals’ that you can’t afford.
- Eat healthy foods and fit in daily activity so you don’t have regrets on New Year’s Day.
- Get out in nature and take it all in, even if just for a few minutes.
- Reach out to others if you’re feeling lonely or sad.
- Indulge your senses in the glowing lights, the aroma of fresh-baked cookies, the icy splendor of a December morning.
If you are struggling during the holidays and need to talk, call NewBridge at (973) 316-9333 or visit us at newbridge.org. Wishing you a peace-filled holiday season!
NewBridge Services, a 501c(3) nonprofit, is a premier provider of counseling services, housing and educational programs in northern New Jersey serving 10,000 adults and seniors last year alone. NewBridge treats mental illnesses and addictions; teaches skills for coping with stress, grief and challenging relationships; builds and manages affordable housing; offers school-based programs that teach children and adolescents resiliency skills for healthy emotional development; helps young adults succeed in their education and prepare for careers; and supports seniors so they can remain independent. Throughout its more than 50-year history, NewBridge has remained true to its mission of bringing balance to people’s lives by tracking shifts in communities’ needs and providing innovative, effective programs to meet them.