Holiday Blues? Tips for a stress-free holiday season
Tuesday, April 02, 2013
Tips for a Stress-free Holiday Season
The holiday season is often filled with good times, good food and good friends, but lets face it, the holidays can also be filled with stress. The shopping, traveling, preparation can all lead to added tension and anxiety.
NewBridge offers the following tips for a stress-free holiday
- Maintain your health. Watch what you eat and drink, exercise regularly, and make time to replenish your energy
- Find a way to give to others. Take the spirit of giving beyond family by doing something for someone else.
- Don’t overextend yourself. Don’t spend more than you can afford and/or volunteer more than you can handle
- Start early. Get some of the preparation for the holidays out of the way as soon as possible such as shopping and baking. If traveling, try to leave a day earlier to avoid the holiday rush.
- Avoid family struggles. Have open discussions with your spouse and children about holiday plans
- Focus on the present and/or future, not the past.
- Talk to someone who makes you feel good
- Play with your children, your spouse and you friends
- Be child-like. Let your senses soak in the sights, sounds, and smells of each passing holiday.
- Focus on what the true meaning of the holiday is to you.
- Remember holiday times are supposed to be fun. Make memories that will last a lifetime.